Shallow DoF for portraits Locked

Started 6 months ago | Questions thread
This thread is locked.
photolando Veteran Member • Posts: 3,295
Re: Shallow DoF for portraits

As a full time pro for the last 35 years, 25 of them includes shooting thousands of portraits, I can assure you, clients care more about one thing.  Expression.  Expression sells the portrait.  Next would be pose.  Yes, the background is important but it could even be in focus and clients would not care.  I'd even put lighting above shallow DoF any day.

Amateurs and enthusiast can argue among themselves what makes a good portrait.  But if you don't have the knowledge of the things I mentioned, DoF won't even matter.

For instance.  Beach portraits are big here in FL.  They want to SEE the beach, not just a blob of muted colors.  If it's a beautiful park, they may like that they can SEE it's a beautiful park.

Yes, shooting wide open can and does produce nice portraits as well.  But it's far from the best or only way to shoot a portrait.

-- hide signature --

Mike

photolando's gear list:photolando's gear list
Fujifilm X-H1 Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm XF 10-24mm F4 R OIS Fujifilm XF 56mm F1.2 R Fujifilm XF 50-140mm F2.8 +3 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Bob
Bob
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow