Tamron 70-300mm FE (A047)

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
MicahSYL
MicahSYL Senior Member • Posts: 2,071
Tamron 70-300mm FE (A047)

There isn't much activities in this forum on this new lens, so I am putting up some of my recently taken images with this new Tamron 70-300mm.

Sunset at my neighborhood reservoir

Fair number of Squirrels there

Otters forlicking on the sand to dry themselves up, before they retire for the night

The drainage tunnel is where they came go down to the reservoir water and back up to the park.  They are pretty good at climbing.

As usual, zoom lenses usually have no focus breathing.  And I use it for acquiring series of images for focus stacking.  This is from a series of 8 macro shots with MF with peaking, combined using Affinity Focus stacking (merge) feature.

Things I like about this new lens (Pre-order in Oct 2020, arrived in mid Feb 2021):

1. Super Light (545gm) - excellent as a Travel mid Tele lens
2. Sharpness - excellent, but need a monopod or tripod for above 100mm or crank up the SS by at least 1 to 2 stops to compensate for the lack of Tamron VC.  The images of the squirrels and otters are with a monopod.  I can maintain the same SS as compared to using my Sigma 100-400mm DG DN (which has OSS).
3. APSC mode up to 450mm, reasonable reach for such a light tele lens.
4. Fantastic bargain price / performance.

Things I don't like about this lens:
1.  Should have a zoom lock at least, which will not increase much weight nor production cost.
2.  I do hope for VC, but then it will "kill" the light weight feature, so I don't want it.

Hope to hear some feedback from this thread.  I am simply very happy for its super light weight for a mid travel tele.  Cheers.

-- hide signature --

The wonders in the tapestry of this Universe, demand a Greater Wonder.

MicahSYL's gear list:MicahSYL's gear list
Nikon D5300 Sony a6000 Sony a7R II Sony a7R IV Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G +16 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow