What are the benefits in upgrading strobe lights with a premium brand?

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
OP Thurnau Contributing Member • Posts: 533
Re: What are the benefits in upgrading strobe lights with a premium brand?

rumple wrote:

Thurnau wrote:

What are the benefits in upgrading strobe lights with a premium/pricier brand?

Bragging rights. And specs that you see - t.1, colour consistency. And usually better longevity / serviceability / robustness / parts supply / rentability / user interface - it just depends.

I've been using Paul Buff's White lighting for over 10 years. I have some small annoyances with it. The clamp on the strobes creep down when holding a softbox or large parabolic umbrella, after a few days to a few weeks the strobe points downwards. [...]

They claim that's been resolved on the Link (don't recall where I read that). Also it looks well-balanced with modifiers. Just FYI.

Last time I spoke with PCB customer service, I asked if they had a fix for the slipping clamp, and they deny it's ever been a problem. I wouldn't mind paying for a fix, I wish they sold softer/grippier rubber washers without having to go downtown to Grainger and match something up.

I wish the link had a faster cycle time (4 seconds!) and I wish it wasn't made in China. The Link's model light is also CRI of around 90 so it isn't ideal for video work.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
BAK
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow