Mounting on car roof

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
sirhawkeye64 Veteran Member • Posts: 5,474
Re: Mounting on car roof

shaffermc wrote:

I want to use my Z50 to record a drive around the city. I want to mount it on the roof for better image quality.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to camouflage it? I might want to drive through some less affluent areas and I’m not sure I want it super visible.

I was thinking I could get a rooftop cargo basket and put the camera in some kind of bicycle bag, with a hole in the side for the lens. Not sure if the camera would overheat though.

Why not just get a GoPro or something similar for this? If it was me, I wouldn't strap my camera to my car... partially because of the reasons you stated, and also because the chances of a lens or the body getting damaged or destroyed from any type of debris (rocks, bird poop, etc) are pretty high. Not worth it in my opinion.

Get a GoPro which are designed to be abused and strapped to vehicles. The new ones offer very good image quality (the Hero 7 and later let's say) and they have a suction cup you can buy for this purpose....

I mean a GoPro could fall off your car while you're driving and still work.  Your Z50, probably not.

sirhawkeye64's gear list:sirhawkeye64's gear list
Fujifilm X-T20 Nikon Z7 Nikon Z5 Nikon Z7 II GoPro Hero8 Black +13 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow