Adding USB C and UHS-II card reader capability questions.

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Craig Gillette Forum Pro • Posts: 11,037
Adding USB C and UHS-II card reader capability questions.

I'm beginning to accumulate items using USB C  (oval) connections and  no C type connectors on my desktop..  However going to be adding an A7Riv rather soon, I hope, and unlike my other cameras, it's also USB-C.  Also I want a faster UHS-II SD reader  to replace my generic multi-slot card reader.  So, want/need support UHS-II and USB-C oval connectors at the front of my desktop.  This could be a hub, not necessarily a port in the desktop.

For simple charging, everything I have can charge off either wall chargers or usb ports on power strips, etc.  So far either the camera and/or the card reader would be the only data transfer devices.

My desktop has several USB Type A ports (flat with blue bars or black bars on the ports).  Motherboard info says it supports 6 ea. 3.1 Gen1 and 2.0.  Several are open for use.  There isn't a USB C connector on the graphics card (which apparently some do have).  The front of the desktop has a device slot but it's behind a door so not readily usable  for a connector panel.  I have a PCI-E x1 slot available if I remove it's wireless adapter.  I'm on an ethernet cable to the MOCA router where I'm located now but if I move the desktop I might have to go wireless.   I'd expect a USB adapter would be possible.

So, thinking I'm going to need and would appreciate suggestions on:

1.  a PCI-E card, with newer/faster connectivity.  Not sure how that works out for either the flat A or oval C connectors. It might make sense to consider the possibility of additional ports for use with external drives or other devices.   A hobbyist, I wouldn't expect to be having to transfer  beyond double digit numbers of photo files except possibly after an extended vacation, etc., so while faster is good, fastest may not be necessary.

2.  Cable to connect card to front of computer area.  It's not impossible o get to the back of the desktop but not convenient to plug things in or out often.

3.  A hub or ?? to connect at least the camera and card reader.

4.  a new UHS-II compatible card reader.  These I'm identifying but suggestions welcome.

I believe from a quick glance inside, that I have some sata connections if needed for power?  I think there are connections available to the power supply but didn't really look for or recognize them.

Leica X1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow