R5 AF with screen magnfied

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
dsjtecserv Veteran Member • Posts: 3,911
R5 AF with screen magnfied

I am transitioning from a 5DsR to an R5, and trying to set it up with the functions and behavior I'm used to and work for me. I most frequently shoot landscape and closeup/macro on a tripod. I focus in live view, usually with 10x magnified view. I'll place the focus point on the part of the scene or object I want to focus on, and use AF On to get a preliminary focus. The view remains magnified, and I can then tweak the focus manually or try again with autofocus. When satisfied I press the magnifying glass button to leave magnified view.

When doing this with the R5, when I press AF On the view immediately leaves magnified view and it autofocuses in full screen view. I can no longer see my focus point magnified and would need to manually return to magnified view in order to check the adequacy of the focus and do any tweaking. This considerably complicates and slows down the fine focusing process.

I have, so far, not found any settings in the menus or custom functions to modify this behavior, nor any existing fixes through an internet search. Does anyone have any suggestions for settings to make the R5 remain in magnified view for autofocusing, or any equivalent workarounds?

Thanks,

Dave

dsjtecserv's gear list:dsjtecserv's gear list
Canon EOS 5DS R Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM Canon EF 100mm F2.8L Macro IS USM Canon TS-E 24mm f/3.5L II Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM +4 more
Canon EOS 5DS R Canon EOS R5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow