What are the benefits in upgrading strobe lights with a premium brand?

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
OP Thurnau Contributing Member • Posts: 533
Re: What are the benefits in upgrading strobe lights with a premium brand?

I have to admit, I'm throwing up a little as a type this, but it seems like GODOX is the best option. I'm saying $1500 as an arbitrary number, I could go to 2K/light too, 3K/light may be pushing it. I'm not anti-China, but I am pro USA and also pro-quality and I don't mind paying a premium for it if it's something I care about. Somehow the China import Godox has nailed quality and price; bucking the reputation and stigma of a Chinese import.

Some of the video reviews posted earlier in this thread compares Godox pro models against the profoto and broncolor. But it's all battery power models, so it's not exactly relevant to my needs. A battery is great for redundancy, and outdoor opens up new possibilities, but not if it has any sacrifice to the primary job. I did notice that GODOX doesn't have recycle speeds AND color accuracy, they have recycle speed OR color accuracy. I don't have experience with GODOX other than watching a ton of videos and reading blog and forum reviews. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but you have to select whether you want the accurate color in a setting, or the high speed as a setting.

EDIT after reading thoroughly through @tugwilson's linked page, I think I'm probably wrong about having to choose between a fast cycle and color. I hope some users help clarify.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
BAK
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow