Have the autofocus issues been fixed? (XT4)

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Nirurin Contributing Member • Posts: 962
Have the autofocus issues been fixed? (XT4)

So I'm pulling the trigger on a used XT4, for various reasons, after a long debate between that and an A7C. In the end, my hopes are that the APSC loss in photo quality / low light performance, will be counterbalanced by the better video quality and features, and the use of f1.4 lenses (on sony I would have had to mostly use f1.8/f2.8 due to size/price).

However one thing that is worrying me... I don't need the absolute bleeding edge of AF eye/animal/etc detection, as I'm not going to be doing sports or anything on a regular basis, however I -do- need the autofocus that is there to be accurate. But I'm seeing more and more reviews of "after 4 months with the XT4" etc that all seem to agree that the XT4 autofocus is.... broken?

A lot of lenses barely track at all, or keep losing tracking, or they pulse all the time during video (which is just as bad as not tracking at all, as it means having to reshoot the video). Even the best lenses tested seem to only be 'fairly reliable, usually'. An even more worrying issue I have seen a few threads on dpreview about, is that a lot of the time even on stills the XT4 will not focus properly, and seems to front-focus a lot (somehow, on a mirrorless, not sure how that works) causing missed shots.

But a lot of these videos and threads are a few months old, and I know Fuji has done some updates to firmware in that time, so I was hoping that there had been improvements. My camera will be arriving in a few days, so I'll likely be doing a bunch of tests myself, but if I can't figure out solutions to this it'll have to get returned. As much as I love to use Fuji because of the ergonomics, even the most ergonomic and fun camera in the world isn't worth paying money for if it can't take photos (and videos, which is important on a hybrid camera) at least 99% reliably.

Nirurin's gear list:Nirurin's gear list
Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm 50-230mm II +1 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
rlx
rlx
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow