The Sony A1; I'm not impressed Locked

Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
This thread is locked.
Neuropsychology
Neuropsychology Regular Member • Posts: 331
Re: The Sony A1; I'm not impressed

tar4heel2 wrote:

...especially considering the price.

Look at the studio scene. I compared the A1 against the Pentax 645Z, the Canon 5D MKIII (It's what I have), and the Sony A7 III.

The Sony A1 is a noise monster. ISOs over 800 reflected noise equal to the 5D MKIII (I know, very hard to believe but true) and worse than the 645Z.

Use common sense; cramming 50mp in a 35mm space does nothing but create noise. Yes, shooting at 100 ISO properly exposed images are great. But for $6,500 they better be. My 645Z beats the A1 on ISOs over 400 easily.

Spend $6,500 for a camera that has no real advantage over 800 ISO? Hmmm... Especially when you can get the 645Z nowadays for $5,000. (see Adorama . B&H has it for $7,000 ??) Even less for a used unit from LensAuthority.com
Or a Nikon D850 for $3,000, a far superior camera to the A1.
dxomark.com has not rated the sensor yet; I'm looking forward to the DR measurement.
Shooting 35mm? Keep your resolution below 35mp unless you don't mind not using it above 800 ISO.

Watch the YT review by Mark Galer. There's so so so much misinformation about this camera. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vguyofpy16Y

Neuropsychology's gear list:Neuropsychology's gear list
Canon EOS-1D X Sony a6300 Sony a7R III Canon EOS Ra Canon EF 50mm F1.4 USM +15 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
lft
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow