M6 vs M6ii low battery shut down during B exposure

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
noisebeam Senior Member • Posts: 2,920
M6 vs M6ii low battery shut down during B exposure

When I am out backpacking if good conditions I usually end the night with a long exposure for star trails then go to bed.  With the M6 I set it up for say a 1hr exposure with black frame subtraction (a 2nd equal length exposure for NR).

If the battery is low it would shut off early, perhaps 42min into the exposure and save the image.  I am not sure if it skips the 2nd exposure, but whatever it does it works and I get something that is very usable.

With the M6ii I am finding that it shuts off even earlier than the M6 and when it does it doesn't save any image.

I know not many do B exposures anymore with preference for multiple short exposures to combine in post.  I know that others externally power the camera to avoid this.  I just bring many batteries and try to start the night with a fresh one, but I am not going to bring external power on a backpack trip and want to maintain the simplicity of a single exposure.

I am not looking for another solution, but more curious if others have noted this difference in low battery shut down behavior between M6 and M6ii.

noisebeam's gear list:noisebeam's gear list
Sony RX100 II Canon EOS 30D Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM Sigma 15mm F2.8 EX DG Diagonal Fisheye Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC HSM +8 more
Canon EOS M6
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow