A couple questions about a new monitor. 10bit or is 8bit + FRC fine, etc

Started 6 months ago | Questions thread
NottsPhoto Senior Member • Posts: 1,767
Re: A couple questions about a new monitor. 10bit or is 8bit + FRC fine, etc

Darkmatterx76 wrote:

Hi I'm trying to decide on a new monitor.

First, I would loveto get a really nice Eizo, but that isn't happening in this economy.

Price range: $2-2.5Kish Canadian.

Need a zero flicker display, so no PWM.

Also, I'm using an i1Display Pro calibrator.

Some of my questions are, true 10bit vs 8bit + FRC. Thoughts?

If I go ultra-wide for the extra space it would almost definitely be a resolution height of 1440p. One of my concerns is that very few companies that make good monitors (Eizo, NEC who else?) have a large selection of ultra-wide angle monitors, and they're curved.

Which leads me to my next question. Curved. It scares me. lol I do a lot of landscape, and the idea of a curved monitor makes me nervous.

4K vs 2K (1440p)? I've seen a 4K at 32" and at 100% Windows DPI, I would have needed 20/10 vision. At 1440p, a 27" seems perfect at 100% DPI, and DPI scaling issues are a PITA, but I've heard 27" 4K monitors are amazing due to the size of the pixels. /*shrug*

Are VA panels within a DE (once calibrated) that would be unnoticeable these days, or is IPS still better enough to see the difference? I'd be going wide gamut.

Panel brightness, and OMDG, uniformity, that I don't have to sacrifice a ton of contrast to get. Good out of the box is even better.

Hardware calibration is awesome for some things, but as long as it has lots of OSD options, I should be OK. I generally use DisplayCal anyways. That's partly why I want good uniformity out of the box.

Thanks!

Let me know if you want some other details.

DM

Couple of pointers...

You need to think about use... to determine the exact spec you need...

for instance, you mention hardware calibration...this one feature alone tends to move pricing up considerably... and whilst it’s essential for video if you are using a clean output like a davinci card, it’s probably not if your not doing so... plus you need to look at the software for doing the calibration, and it’s spider compatibility..

10bit or 10bit Frc is a good question, again, what is your use... we have numerous 10bit frc models and they are in every respect fine...

There have been big advances in monitors in the past few years so brands which were essential in the past, (Eizo, LaCie..) are not nessecarily in the same place they were in relation to other brands... (benq in particular...)

Again, some things you need to look for...

1) factory calibration... you should get a report, and the delta e of the monitor should be sub 2... the lower the better.

2) gamut... again, use dependent, if your into video, then rec709/srgb at 100% is fine for most... but photos you really want 100% Adobe rgb...

3) hardware calibration, if your running through a davinci card this is essential... but if not and your going out of a standard graphics card, then software calibration/profiling is more than fine, in fact it’s preferred due to the workflow being a lot more straightforward..

4) resolution... you can always view a file at 100%, and with most decent images from a stills shoot being greater than 4 k resolution... it may be preferred to go with a 1440 monitor than 4k for stills, why pay for 4k if it’s not sufficient anyways... ???

5) can your graphics card/ computer put out a 10 bit signal??? Most folks don’t realise that low end cards and older cards and machines won’t do that... it’s not just a case of plugging in the monitor, you need to be able to output that. For instance we have several older systems in our studio (3x iMacs and 2x pc...) which work fine for all sorts of tasks, but are incapable of supporting 10 bit output... no point in buying a 10 bit monitor, if it’s not getting that data...so in the first instance, you need to ensure that you can output a 10 bit signal... it may need a GPU update to do that if your on a pc, or if your on a older (Pre 2015 ) iMac or Mac mini, you might be stuffed.

for what it’s worth, we run a pretty big suite of monitors, and have Mac retinas on iMacs, 8 bit dells, 10bit Hi end dells, Older Lacie’s (recently retired..) 8 bit higher end BEnQ’s, 10 bit BEnQ’s from the photographer and graphics lines some with hardware calibration and some without.... in sizes ranging from 24 inch to 32..

We currently are purchasing pd2700q’s, for use on computers where we want good colour, but not where we are doing critical colour grading... so they are being used for GUI and graphics, and for online video material... and they are excellent and very good value... and would make very good still monitors imho..

for more colour critical areas we are using the SW2700 which has proven to be again a good monitor... SW240’s, and now also the SW271 were we want a 4k colour critical monitor.
so look beyond the Eizo, there are other excellent monitors out their, And also I would place less emphasis in the need to hardware calibrate, more on the initial calibration, gamut, and overall delta e of the monitor... you will still profile and software calibrate, but really hardware calibration is only something you need to worry about if your working in a higher end video role.

imho.

-- hide signature --

www.pageonemedia.co.uk
Striving hard to be the man that my dog thinks I am.

NottsPhoto's gear list:NottsPhoto's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro2 Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R +5 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow