The last RX100 ?

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Rambow Contributing Member • Posts: 850
The last RX100 ?

After drooling over reviews for a year, i finally decided to part with my hard earned money to get the rx100 VI. The VII costs a bit more and is more future proof, but the sensor performance is slightly diminished for improved speed and i don't mind the savings either.

Anyway, i know people have been discussing the possibility of a rx100 VIII for a while, but in my mind the chances of actually seeing it are quite low. Why? If you look at them, the series look complete. The only missing variation is a weatherproof rx100, but apart from that, the 7 models in the range tick most, if not all the boxes for the compact camera enthusiasts like me out there.

To underline the fact that the rx100 series are different from others, sony has decided not to replace each camera, but to sell them together at different price points and configurations, which is a huge deal and definitely replaces the traditional "new model replaces old model" marketing scheme.

I don't see how(realistically and in a cost effective way) sony could further improve this camera. Sony executives have said ever since releasing the m6 that they are aware that many people(me included) still use the original rx100, released in 2012. I'm still very happy with mine, just want to upgrade to a longer zoom like the m6 has.

Along with the fact that the rx100 series are the best digital pocket cams ever made, all these hints lead to the conclusion that sony doesn't need to and probably won't bother pushing the limits of technology with these cameras anymore. I can imagine future software and hardware changes(better internals) and maybe a rx100 VIIa, like the VA was, but all this is speculation.

Can it get even better than this, with the entire industry being in the process of being replaced by smartphone photography?

The gravy train has to stop somewhere, and the VII-th variant realistically could be the last one. Which makes me think twice about ordering the VI- do i want to have the 6th model or the last one they will ever make?

Rambow's gear list:Rambow's gear list
Sony Mavica FD-71
Canon EOS M6 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Sony RX1 Sony RX100 Sony RX100 VI
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow