R6 JPEG only shooting... is it the wrong way to go ?

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
cocoanud
cocoanud Regular Member • Posts: 381
R6 JPEG only shooting... is it the wrong way to go ?

Hi,

I am currently testing out a Canon R6 and comparing it against my current Z6.

AF supremacy can be taken for granted in the case of R6. I had to crank up the Z6 to Continuous High and R6 was not even breaking a sweat in Continuous Low with Eye Tracking turned on.

(taking pictures of my three year old not willing to sit still)

However, I am shooting JPEG only and have to say... Nikon Z6 with Standard Picture Profile and R6 with Auto Picture Profile, the JPEGs are in favour of Nikon.

Canon JPEGs are coming out a bit... muted.

Also, the JPEG compression seems very high on R6, I am seeing sizes around 6MB on average. Using 1.6x crop mode is about 2.5MB.

The Z6 is producing a lot more dense JPEGs. Viewing on my 16" MacBook Pro, the Z6 pictures are looking better.

What is the recommended JPEG settings for R6 ? OR is JPEG the wrong way to go with R6 ?

For a bit more details/context

- Nikon Z6 used with Standard Profile, 24-200 lens at f/6.3 , Auto ISO (ISO was at 16k)

- Canon R6 used with Auto Profile, 24-105 (cheap one) at f/6.3, ISO was set at 6400 for the JPEGs which turned out to be keepers. (EDIT: forgot to add, these were in 1.6x crop mode as well. Had to turn on crop mode so as to bring the aperture to f/6.3 to match framing.)

Thanks,

-- hide signature --

C

cocoanud's gear list:cocoanud's gear list
Canon EOS R6 Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 Canon RF 600mm F11 IS STM Canon RF 50mm F1.8 STM
Canon EOS R6 Nikon Z6
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow