Quick lens change during winter hiking

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
szotsaki New Member • Posts: 2
Quick lens change during winter hiking

I like day-long hiking in the winter in the mountains mostly with a company.

With three lenses for my APS-C camera (11-20 mm, 15-85 mm, and a soon-to-be-acquired 70-200 mm f/4), however, I need to regularly stop to switch them when the scenery justifies. It takes a lot of time to take off the backpack, get the new lens out, swap them, put the old one back, and get in the backpack again.

I'm looking for a solution appropriate for winter clothing.

In summer some kind of a belt pouch could be used for my two bigger lenses like a Think Tank lens changer with their fortified belt but I doubt its usability when paired with a bulky winter jacket. I fear it simply wouldn't fit below.

I also read about the Lowepro Inverse 200 AW belt pack but there it turned out it's too bulky for hiking while its little sister, the m-Trekker HP 120, is too small to carry two lenses.

Someone recommended to order a neoprene case from eBay which I could fix to the shoulder strap next to my Peak Design's Capture clip on the other side. However, that holds only one lens (which is still better than zero).

I'm aware that there are some backpacks which allow 180° rotation but I don't want to replace my current one.

Do you know if there's a convenient way to carry lenses outside of the backpack to allow rapid change during winter hiking?

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow