Opinions wanted on R5 and 500mm f4 IS

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Mark Urwiller
Mark Urwiller Regular Member • Posts: 161
Opinions wanted on R5 and 500mm f4 IS

Hello,

I just purchased a new R5 and was using a 7DMKII with a version 1 EF 500mm f4 IS. I bought it new a year before the V2 came out and paid considerably less than the V2's go for now.

I read the V1's do limit the capabilities of the R5 in terms of the mechanical (not electronic) shutter speed and focus spread. It won't focus quit as fast either. This morning I used the pair for some bird photography (Red-winged Blackbirds) and found the R5 wouldn't acquire eye focus very far from the center. It might have been due to the low light and coloration of the bird. I will need to test it more.

If I do decide it's time to update the lens, what would you do? Buy a EF version 2 or wait for the newer RF version that's probably coming in a few months. I know the RF version will be more expensive and I don't mind using the adapter. I'm selling my 7DMKII and 5DMKIV to fund the purchase of the rumored upcoming of an R7 with APSC.

I only have EF "L" glass now and don't plan on jumping into new RF glass other than perhaps the 500mm. I only want to make that purchase once!  I'm also planning on photographing Sharp-tailed Grouse and Prairie Chickens (and maybe Sage Grouse) on Leks in about a month. That's part of this decision too. There won't be any 500mm RF f4's that soon.

By the way, I already have the EF 100-400mm f4.5-5. IS V2 and it works nicely on the R5! Eventually, for birds, I plan on the 500 mm f4 to be parked on the R7 and the 100-400 to be on the R5.  Thanks in advance for your opinions!

www.markurwiller.photography
www.hcobs.org
www.pvao.us

Mark Urwiller's gear list:Mark Urwiller's gear list
Canon EOS 600D Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EOS R5 Canon EF 50mm F1.8 II +12 more
Canon EOS R5 Ricoh Caplio R7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow