And another Rookie tries Orion Nebula

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
mostlyboringphotog Veteran Member • Posts: 9,651
And another Rookie tries Orion Nebula

First try, really and am wondering what is the "esthetics" of astrophotography...

Both are the same 30 frame stack shot with PEN-F and Olympus 75-300mm lens set at 300mm, on a fixed tripod; f/8 1.6 sec ISO3200.

First is Sequator stack post processed with PL4 with lots of tone mapping applied.

I like the dramatic look but it could be a faux pas for what an astrophoto should be.

The following was processed with PL4 DeepPRIME NR to the each frame and cropped to 2000x2000. Then stacked DSS kappa sigma and then post processed again in PL4.

It looks some what more natural but, is the coloring just artifact of post processing?

And are the blue halo around some stars from over processing?

I have seen some of the incredible photos on this thread but as a tyro, looking for any and all suggestions as in what is a "good" astrophoto.

I am "happy" to keep the stars from clipping and getting lots of colors but wondering if I am looking at the "wrong" thing?

I'm not bashful so don't hold back

And thanks!!

I realize this looks very different from other's natural looking shots.

mostlyboringphotog's gear list:mostlyboringphotog's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Pentax 645Z Nikon 1 J5 Fujifilm GFX 50R Canon EOS RP
Olympus PEN-F
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow