Tamron 100-400 w/ 1.4x TC on Crop-sensor body

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
sirhawkeye64 Veteran Member • Posts: 5,258
Tamron 100-400 w/ 1.4x TC on Crop-sensor body

Anyone on here using a 100-400 on a crop sensor body with the 1.4x TC?

I have just purchased a used D7500 and was thinking of maybe getting the Tamron with the TC versus getting something heavier (like the Nikon 200-500, because of the weight, even though it's probably a better lens overall).

I know that the Tamron can be soft in the corners, but on a crop sensor I think that's less evident since you're using more of the middle of the frame anyway (and your corners are actually more mid-frame in a way).  I know the TC will cause some sharpness loss due to it being a TC (which is why I'm thinking the 1.4 and not the 2x).  Everyone says to avoid using the 2x for most cases for that reason.

But I'm wondering if this is worth it for my D7500, as I just can't see myself hiking with a 200-500 or lugging it around in a backpack all day.

sirhawkeye64's gear list:sirhawkeye64's gear list
Fujifilm X-T20 Nikon D7500 Nikon Z7 Nikon Z7 II Fujifilm XF 23mm F2 R WR +14 more
Nikon D7500
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow