Will 19 megapixels really be enough?

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ADW02 Regular Member • Posts: 428
Will 19 megapixels really be enough?

I'm almost exclusively devoted to landscape/cityscape photography, with macro occasionally thrown in. I suppose shooting images of birds might be really nice, if my area had enough varieties of birds, but sports and fast-action photography is not my thing. In looking to move up from my 6DII, with its 26.2mp sensor, to a camera with more resolution, I'm in a bit of a quandary.

Having a stable of EF lenses ranging from 16mm to 1,000mm would seem to naturally lead me either to the 5DSr or the R5. I've rejected the 5DSr because it has too many disadvantages compared to the R5, whose resolution is very nearly identical, and I'm not sure yet about the Sony 63mp camera, assuming Canon lens mounting works properly with that unit.

Assuming the R5 will be my choice in the full-frame format, I have to ask two questions...

1. Will the tax-included cost of the R5 and adapter ring be worth $4,387.00 for an extra 19 megapixels of resolution for landscape photography?

2. Might it make more sense instead to gravitate up to medium format photography, thanks to the release of the Fuji GFX100s, which retails for $6,000? That has 57 more megapixels than the R5, and the images are to die for, but with just one ordinary lens the Fuji will cost well more than twice as much as the R5, at an estimated tax-included price of $8,988.00. That means this middle-class retiree would have to get a part-time job and work for several years before investing in MF, but I'm wondering if it might not be worth it.

But there is one thing that's interesting about the R5. After I've processed one of its RAW files, and enhanced it to my liking with plug-ins like On1 2021 or Luminar AI, I then decide to sharpen it in Topaz Sharpen AI, and to remove any distracting noise in DeNoise AI. The resulting image is not just surprisingly sharp, but gives the appearance of having greater detail than the original. And as one respondent here told me, without an MF image to compare against it, nobody is going to know what they're not seeing. They'll only see a really great R5 picture.

And so if I move up, I may well go with the R5. The big question is whether it's worth more than $4,000 to do so.

All opinions are more than welcome. There may well be something I'm not considering.

Canon EOS 5DS R Canon EOS R5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow