Help a novice: sharp or unsharp images? Should I return my X-T30?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
OP giovirovi New Member • Posts: 14
Re: Help a novice: sharp or unsharp images? Should I return my X-T30?

Bill Ferris wrote:

giovirovi wrote:

Hi everybody,

I am a novice to photography and I am facing an issue: my new X-T30 seems very often to deliver blurry/not so sharp images. I have all the basic knowledge regarding focus, autofocus, exposition triangle, etc. If someone more expert than me could give me an opinion I really would like to post some images with the respective info to understand if it's a real issue.

Thank you.

If you're making soft photos with your camera, I recommend first addressing possible issues with settings or technique.

A reliable general rule is that a shutter speed of 1/focal length is the slowest that will reliably deliver handheld images without motion blur. There are exceptions. If you photograph sports or other fast action using a 400mm lens, you may need to use a shutter speed of 1/1000 to 1/2500 to adequately freeze motion. That acknowledged, if shooting handheld to make a portrait or landscape, a shutter speed of 1/focal length or faster should do the trick. If the lens has OIS, you should be able to use much slower shutter speeds to make a sharp photo of a static scene.

For most of the photography I do with my X-T20, I use a single, small autofocus point and position it directly over where in the scene I want focus to be. When making a portrait, I position the focus point over a subject's eye. When shooting landscapes, cityscapes, or architecture, I position the focus point over the dominant element anchoring the composition. Careful placement of the primary AF point over the subject of the scene is essential to making a sharp photograph.

Finally, your handholding technique is very important. Earlier, I mentioned that lens OIS opens the possibility of using slow shutter speeds to make sharp photos of static scenes. That starts with keeping two hands on the camera; the right hand on the body and the left supporting the lens. I'll lean against a wall or column for additional support. If using a really slow shutter speed, I'll sit, brace my elbows on a solid surface, and regulate my breathing to eliminate any unsteadiness.

If you address those three things - shutter speed, autofocus mode, and handhold technique - you'll be well on your way to making nice, crisp photos. If you are regularly out in low light situations such as shooting landscapes at sunrise and sunset, I heartily recommend using a tripod for the most stable platform possible.

Good luck to you.

Thank you very much for all the suggestions. It is really helpful to receive tips from experienced people. I am honest when I say that I have absolute zero idea on how to use the autofocus on my X-T30 and I often get very confused.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow