Safety of premium phones and budget alternatives

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
Booted Cat
OP Booted Cat Senior Member • Posts: 1,296
Re: Safety of premium phones and budget alternatives

jaberg wrote:

I’ve carried a premium phone since the day the iPhone was first introduced and I’ve never given this a moments thought. Just as with an expensive camera — the various Leica threads seem to frequently mention a similar concern (that I don’t share, and I daily carried an M6 in NYC for years) — use the tool but don’t flash it around, and always be aware of your surroundings. A friends daughter did lose her iPhone to a local snatch-n-grab artist so my policy is that I’m either using the phone or have it in my pocket — though (pre-COVID) I often broke this rule while sitting at a bar — I generally trust my bartenders. This has worked for me so far, but I suppose my lucky streak could be broken at any time. So it goes.

David Hobby notably (or notoriously) “disguised” his Fuji x100 with a bad gaff tape masking job. (I have always blacked out my cameras, either with tape or black nail polish, but I do so neatly.) You could disguise an expensive phone by using a cheap case — though the 10X optical zoom might be a bit of giveaway.

Premium phones generally offer zoom levels up to 50x or 100x (digital of course), and if you dial it to 10x, other people won't be able to tell if it's an optical or digital zoom.

Booted Cat's gear list:Booted Cat's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P1000 Canon PowerShot SX740 HS Nikon Coolpix A1000
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow