Safety of premium phones and budget alternatives

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
jaberg
jaberg Regular Member • Posts: 126
Re: Safety of premium phones and budget alternatives

I’ve carried a premium phone since the day the iPhone was first introduced and I’ve never given this a moments thought. Just as with an expensive camera — the various Leica threads seem to frequently mention a similar concern (that I don’t share, and I daily carried an M6 in NYC for years) — use the tool but don’t flash it around, and always be aware of your surroundings. A friends daughter did lose her iPhone to a local snatch-n-grab artist so my policy is that I’m either using the phone or have it in my pocket — though (pre-COVID) I often broke this rule while sitting at a bar — I generally trust my bartenders. This has worked for me so far, but I suppose my lucky streak could be broken at any time. So it goes.

David Hobby notably (or notoriously) “disguised” his Fuji x100 with a bad gaff tape masking job. (I have always blacked out my cameras, either with tape or black nail polish, but I do so neatly.) You could disguise an expensive phone by using a cheap case — though the 10X optical zoom might be a bit of giveaway.

jaberg's gear list:jaberg's gear list
Fujifilm X100V Fujifilm X-S10 Nikon AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.8D Fujifilm XF 16-80mm F4 Fujifilm XF 70-300 F4-5.6 R LM OIS WR +2 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow