ALL Cartridges Not Recognized

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
Rich42 Senior Member • Posts: 1,932
Re: ALL Cartridges Not Recognized

Innocentius wrote:

Rich42 wrote:

Welcome to the frustration of owning Epson printers. If it’s any consolation, your printer head was probably near complete failure before your efforts with cleaning and flushing the head.

Despite what you probably read on the Internet about the advisability of performing the procedures you described, you simply hastened the heads onto their ultimate deaths.

It simply doesn’t work. Flushing the head destroys the piezo elements inside.

The only insult you didn’t experience was a service technician quoting you a repair price far greater than the price of a whole new printer.

Rich

Every now and then I tend to buy an Epson because I really want to try BIG printing on a roll. And every now and then I am shied away by these kinds of posts. Worked with HP before (blue ribbon customer service!) and have a A3+ Canon printer now (which appears to be virtually indestructable and works happily with oem inks).

I only wonder if these Epson complaints are in line with their sales

Epson are capable of the highest quality work. And in general, they are generally dependable. But a fact of life is that printer heads fail. I don't know what the failure rate is. But it is significant and the problem with Epson is that it is so expensive to repair a head that one may as well buy a new printer. Which is an absurd situation.

A large printing house has no real problem with that situation. Time is money. Machines must be kept running. If business is coming in the door, the most destructive thing is for equipment to be down. They have long term service contracts and their machines serviced immediately when needed. The cost of that service is built into their pricing. To them it is worth the cost. Even though the service exceeds the cost of replacing a machine, the time necessary to do either favors servicing the existing equipment.

Replacing a print head is so difficult in an Epson that it is quite beyond the capability of anyone not trained and with a lot of experience doing such work. It is possible to do following "secret" information that can be found with a lot of digging, but so time consuming and messy for anyone not performing such tasks on a daily basis as to be completely out of the question.

A photographer working at home can't afford such a "business plan." (Unless he/she is also getting a large, steady stream of business).

For the individual owner, it's imperative that replacing a part that is known to have a high failure rate is reasonably easy to do and reasonable in cost. Canon printers are made with that philosophy and they are capable of the highest quality work.

Other than Canon dye ink printers which never experience head failures, pigment print heads are considered to be "consumable" items. The cost of a head should be factored into the cost of buying a machine and replacement should be expected some time after about 2 years, depending on use. The heads cost about $600, and the replacement process is straight-forward and easy.

Why haven't Canons replaced Epson in the inkjet printing industry? I don't really know other than the fact that Epson reached critical mass a long time ago, they have a wider range of machines and inertia is a remarkable thing.

Rich

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow