Safety of premium phones and budget alternatives

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Booted Cat
Booted Cat Senior Member • Posts: 1,221
Safety of premium phones and budget alternatives

As someone seeking a 10x optical zoom, near-7-inch phone, I have found the Huawei Mate 40 Pro+ to have better IQ than the Samsung S21 Ultra, thanks to people on this forum and people I talked to at Huawei stores I toured recently. I'm also informed to watch the Huawei P50 series to be released by the end of this month which will bring about even better optics such as a 1-inch Sony IMX800 sensor.

Safety of premium phones

When the "Which phone has better IQ" question was getting settled, another question arose in my mind: "How do I protect a premium phone such as the Mate 40 Pro+ or S21 Ultra from theft or robbery?" If you live in an upper social class and people around you are always as rich as you are, this is not a problem; but if you actually have little income and buy a premium phone via a 24-month financing plan, and you actually read the phone on bus and subway, you have a real risk of getting some bad guy's attention.

So far, the best solution I can think of is to "take two phones", one ordinary (such as my Xiaomi Mi Max 3) and one premium, and use the ordinary one for most tasks and only use the premium one when the environment is safe and there is a valuable photography subject.

What's your idea?

Budget alternatives

I have also been having the Xiaomi 10 Youth on my mind as it is a budget phone with a 48MP main camera and 5x optical zoom. It can replace my current "ordinary" phone Xiaomi Mi Max 3 so that even my "ordinary phone" would have 5x optical zoom. However, just like we should hold on and wait for the Huawei P50 series on the premium product segment, Xiaomi 11 Youth is also coming out this month on the cheap segment. So I'm holding on for my ordinary phone upgrade as well.

Booted Cat's gear list:Booted Cat's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P1000 Canon PowerShot SX740 HS Nikon Coolpix A1000
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow