Allround camera for ok-experienced amateur

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
gus_goose New Member • Posts: 10
Allround camera for ok-experienced amateur

Hei,

after a longer break without own camera (coming from a Pentax K-50) I'd like to get myself a new camera again. I still have some lenses for the K-mount, but I'm not sure if I want to stay with Pentax or not, especially with the sometimes questionable AF.

While I was without own camera I had the chance of testing some cameras of the A6x00-series from Sony and the A7 III. Handling was ok-ish, but them being so much less robust than my old K-50 was not what I am looking for. Still, it also means that a EVF is not an issue for me. So, the things I would prefer in my future camera are

• Good AF, sometimes I am out and shooting sports in- and outdoors
  • Robust, should tolerate rain/water splashes/snow/ice, the camera will be taken on hikes
  • Rather compact (to be taken on hikes)
  • Preferably I can use/carry it with only one hand. I tested the X-T3, and I did not like the small grip at all. The A6x-series was close, A7 and larger are ok
  • Two wheels for aperture and exposure time
  • Flash not necessary
  • Weight is not a large issue, I managed the K-50 without issues
  • IBIS

What are my options for that? I looked (i.a.) at the A7 III, Z6 II and R6. All of them would be in the same range when combined with the 24-105 (R6 and A7 III) or 24-200 (Z6 II).

I heard that the AF of the Z6 II is worse compared to the others, but how much worse is it? The A7 III is not as weather proof as the others, as far as I know, but could not test that yet. Still, we always covered the A7 III when shooting in rain, while I could continue happily without cover with my K-50, something I would prefer to be able with a future camera, too.

Additionally, are there other options I have not looked at? Is Olympus worth it after them being sold, even though their cameras are rather weatherproof, too?

Thanks!

gus_goose's gear list:gus_goose's gear list
Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM Pentax smc DA 18-135mm F3.5-5.6ED AL [IF] DC WR Sigma 85mm F1.4 EX DG HSM Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM Art +2 more
Canon EOS R6 Fujifilm X-T3 Nikon Z6 II Pentax K-50 Sony a7 Sony a7 III
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow