Windows File Explorer Crashes with RAF to DNG files ...

Started 1 month ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Chas J Contributing Member • Posts: 839
Windows File Explorer Crashes with RAF to DNG files ...

This is cross posted from the Fuji Forum ...

Chas J wrote:

I just had to see what all the fuss was about and also wanted a small rangefinder style camera so, I bought a Fuji X-E3.

My version of Photoshop is too old to handle the *.RAF files from this camera (and, no, I can't update its RAW convertor as Adobe has stopped supporting it), so I downloaded the latest version of Adobe DNG Convertor (12.2) and converted my RAF files to DNG.

I have done this before, with great success, with other makes of camera. However in this case, as soon as I go to open the folder that contains the converted RAW files (RAF to DNG), Windows 10 File Explorer crashes within 5 seconds and I can not get to any of the files there-in.

Thankfully the folder in question is on an external drive. I took this drive to a Chromebook with the Android operating system and I find that I can open the folder and the files ... without anything crashing !.

So. Has anybody else had this problem and what did they do to solve it ?.

Thanks.

In summary:

This has nothing to do with Photoshop except that it will not handle my RAF files. Windows will open my RAF files so that I can VIEW them. To EDIT my files in 'RAW' I need to convert my RAF files to DNG. Photoshop will work with DNG files (it is Adobes RAW format).

Once the folder (in Windows File Explorer) containing DNG files is opened. WINDOWS 10 File Explorer becomes unstable and crashes (within approx. 5 secs) of opening the folder. This means that I cannot access ANY files in that folder (*.jpg, *.RAF or *.DNG). The folder becomes lost to me. I have tried changing the default VIEW from 'Thumbnail' to 'List' but that makes it stay open for just a little longer before it crashes.

Chromebook WILL open the folder and show me the files. I can select and see those files in Chromebook. With the folder now containing three (3) versions of the same photo (*.jpg, *.RAF and *.DNG) I can delete just the *.DNG photos then take my drive to my Windows computer and File Explorer becomes stable again but now I am back to square one where I cannot Edit my 'RAW' files !.

Also.  I have just used the same convertor to convert my Nikon D810 NEF files to DNG and Windows and Photoshop works well with the new DNG files.

Any Ideas !.

-- hide signature --

==============
Do Not Listen to What I Say ... Listen to What I Mean !.

Chas J's gear list:Chas J's gear list
Nikon D700 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Olympus E-M1 Nikon D610 Nikon D810 +30 more
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Nikon D810
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow