Strobe inconsistency issues

Started 1 month ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Rae_T New Member • Posts: 5
Strobe inconsistency issues

Hey there New to the forums. Read through a bit and do not think I saw this question/these questions asked (recently at least). I hope it is okay to ask more than one:

1: General issues with strobe consistency

2: Repairing inconsistent strobes?

3: Reliable and consistent strobes for a decent price

1: I currently shoot in my small home studio with the Falcon Eyes TF-400A. I have had issues with the strobes being set at the same power level where no setting is changed, but mid-shoot strobing as if the power level was changed. Most recently I had both strobes set at the lowest setting, but after a few shots (with no settings on the strobes or camera changed), strobing at what I thought was full capacity. I tested the strobes with a light meter, and it appears the strobes strobe inconsistently, the biggest issue being at the lowest power level strobing as if set on a higher or the highest power level. My last shoot was ruined because of this as it wasn't a matter of the strobe needing to recycle but as I mentioned, halfway through the strobes consistently strobed as if on full power and I had to cut the shoot short. (My only other comment is the ambient lighting conditions did change as it went from afternoon to evening, but if anything this would have made the lighting situation darker not brighter, and as mentioned I checked the strobes with a light meter and confirmed they were inconsistent.) I read online that cheaper gear can simply be this inconsistent. Does anyone have anymore insight that they can share on this? I was shooting via a synch cable with both my digital and film camera.

2: Taking into account number 1: Is it possible or even worth it to try and repair the Falcon Eyes TF-400A? Are they even "broken"? Or is this level of inconsistency normal? Are Falcon Eyes known to be particularly good, bad, or standard? And if good, is this a model issue, or do I just have lemons? (I always get lemons D: )

3: Is there a reliable (read: the strobes flash the actual strength that they are set for consistently) and affordable lighting system you would recommend? Just to give an idea of price range: I am looking for 3 lights with soft boxes, reflector mounts, and wireless triggers (tripods not necessary but I know they often come with sets like this) for no more than 600€, but of course as my knowledge about good studio strobes is limited, while I do not have endless amounts of cash, I don't want to buy something that isn't worth buying just to save money (if you know what I mean.) I was looking at Neewer's strobes, but I am not even sure what brands for strobes are seen as good. Thank you so much in advance!

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow