USB-C Add-in Card For Desktop PC-R5 Issue

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Karl_Guttag Contributing Member • Posts: 524
USB-C Add-in Card For Desktop PC-R5 Issue

I have had a USB-C card in my desktop PC for two years. It has worked with everything with a USB-C interface including iPhone 11 and Canon RP. The card (Ableconn PU31-AC-2 USB 3.1) is rated at 3 amps at 5V. So I figure it will not charge the R5 with a battery in it but it should at least talk to it.

So I plug my new R5 into this port and all I get it the PC repeatedly giving the "connecting" ding. The R5 does not show it is connecting when turned on. I get the same behavior with a ProGrade Express B/SD dual drive. Both the R5 and the ProGrade work with the PC when I use a USB-C to USB-A cable, but obviously, I would like to have the faster data rate of USB-C

I have verified with a laptop with a Thunderbolt USB-C port that both the R5 and ProGrade reader work.

I'm willing to buy a new USB-C card, but they all seem to have the same specs for their ports like the one I have.

Does anyone know of a USB-C desktop add-in card for a desktop PC that works with the R5?

BTW, the PC itself is about 4 years old and was a moderately high-end PC when I built it 4 years ago. It is an MSI 97A Gaming 7 with a 4-core i7 4-GHz with 32GB of RAM and SSD drives and an Nvidia Quadro 4000 graphics card. Unfortunately, as I understand it PCs have not improved much (famously Intel has not improved their process much). I'm tempted to buy a new PC help deal with the larger R5 images, but I'm not sure it will help much.

Karl_Guttag's gear list:Karl_Guttag's gear list
Canon EOS RP Olympus E-M5 III Canon EOS R5 Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 +10 more
Canon EOS R5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow