Help a novice: sharp or unsharp images? Should I return my X-T30?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
jrtrent Veteran Member • Posts: 6,183
Re: Lens testing

giovirovi wrote:

Hey guys, thank you so much for taking the time to help me.

I see that a common issue with the photos is represented by the aperture I am using. I am thinking to post more photos with a f6-8 aperture so you can judge better.

I appreciate this thread of yours; I had either forgotten or never known that such high optical performance was available from Fuji at so low a price. A review of your particular lens's sharpness said:

"The centre is slightly soft wide open at f/2, with the peak performance achieved in the f/2.8-f/11 range. Diffraction sets in at f/16. The edges are soft from f/2-f/2.8, sharpening up at f/4, with f/5.6-f/11 the optimum settings." https://www.photographyblog.com/reviews/fujifilm_xc_35mm_f2_review/sharpness_1

The 35mm focal length on a 1.5X APS-C sensor is my preference for about 95% of the pictures I take. I love deep depth of field, and it was easy to set the hyperfocal distance with my old film cameras due to the detailed distance and depth of field scales on their lenses. With digital, those useful scales are typically missing, so I've adopted Merklinger's rules. His book, The INs and OUTs of FOCUS, is available for download at this site:

http://www.trenholm.org/hmmerk/download.html

Put simply, when doing scenic photography with a normal or wide angle lens, if I focus on the most distant object whose sharpness is important to me (often it's the horizon), and use an aperture giving a diameter of 3-5 mm, I'll likely be happy with my pictures. For a 35mm focal length, that means keeping my aperture between f/7.1 and f/11. F/8 happens to be the sweet spot optically for my particular lens, so I shoot it there almost all the time.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow