Advice on a camera for a student please?

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Phil1 Senior Member • Posts: 2,083
Advice on a camera for a student please?

My granddaughter needs a camera to record her degree project (she is not studying photography by the way). She has found the Canon 2000d with kit lens and I know she can do much better than that. An early birthday present will raise her budget to around £800.

My initial thoughts are to suggest buying used equipment, ‘excellent’ or ‘as new’ from say MBP which I’ve done myself on several occasions and been very pleased with the results.

As for the gear I was wondering if either an X-E3/18-55 f2.8-4 or an X-T30 with the same lens would be a good choice?

Another consideration is the ease of use. She hasn’t used a proper camera before and because of lockdown I won’t be able to take her through the various settings. Both these cameras have an ‘auto’ setting which could be used until she has time to get to grips with the other settings but this only gives jpgs as far as I can see. Is this a big disadvantage? Having said that I can’t imagine she’ll want to get too heavily involved in processing at this stage and the Fuji jpgs are some of the best.

Any thoughts and suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Many thanks

Phil

Canon EOS Rebel T7 (EOS 2000D)
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow