Help a novice: sharp or unsharp images? Should I return my X-T30?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
WryCuda Forum Pro • Posts: 10,733
Re: Lens testing

giovirovi wrote:

scokill wrote:

There is nothing wrong with the lens that I can see. A little bit of tweaking and sharpening and it looks OK to me. Not the best shots to judge sharpness though.

Thanks for your opinion. May I ask you what kind of shot would you prefer to judge the sharpness?

To get meaningful results, you have to use standard charts at the correct distance.

I use the ISO12233 chart printed A2 (to get sufficient printed detail) and set up a 5-chart array. The final target is about 8' wide. Shooting distance is about 60x focal length, and you can read off the resolution from the "wedges".

Multiply by the conversion factor, which is 100x for a single chart, or about 325x for the 5-chart array, to derive a value for "Line Pairs/Picture Height". Compare this with published results.

You will be wasting your time if you do anything else.

If you shoot outdoors, there is no need for fiddly nonsense with the settings or technique; just shoot like you normally do.

This one was handheld...

Lens used here was Nikon 85mm f/1.8. A resolution value of 3250 is good for this camera & lens combination.

WryCuda's gear list:WryCuda's gear list
Nikon D7100 Sony a6000 Sony a7
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow