Present day Canon vs Nikon

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Antal I Kozma
Antal I Kozma Veteran Member • Posts: 3,423
Present day Canon vs Nikon

Hi to all,

Disclaimer: my post is not to ignite a "whose is bigger" competition. It is simply to learn other's opinion about the present state of mirrorless affairs between the two "good old" companies. I intentionally leave out Sony, we know that they are good and innovative but I wish to hear the Canon vs Nikon thoughts only.

A friend of mine is an old Canon user, we often meet out on the trails. He with his EOS -1D X Mk III and I with the Nikon D850. Today he was out with a new body, the R5 which he purchased a couple of days ago. I was somewhat surprised since I thought that he would keep using DSLRs as long as he is able to carry a camera.

Anyhow, I have read up on the Canon R5 and its specifications are very-very impressive. I also know that Morten Hilmer, a long time Nikon user Danish friend, recently switched to the Canon R5 for his nature and wildlife work. I started to think, I got old in the Canon and Nikon world and still see things through the "Canikon" glass. So, who is making the right steps these days? Who is going to carry on the "professional DNA", between the two, in the mirrorless world?

Again, I am just simply curious how other Nikon user friends see the present day and the possible future. So please do not get into arguments, just tell your thoughts.

I will use my DSLR cameras for the foreseeable future. That said, mirrorless is on my radar too. I keep following the news, read opinions, watch videos and so forth. I am not short changed with DSLR equipment for my work but as things go I may find myself among mirrorless users one day.

The Canon EOS R5 is close to something that I'd like to see in the Nikon Line up. A seemingly very capable top of the line camera for demanding professionals and enthusiasts alike. The Nikon Z7 II is not there yet to compete for the leading spot. A very decent camera but it is not the mirrorless equivalent of the single digit D camera heritage. Whereas the Canon R5 seems like a mirrorless replacement for those who have been using EOS-1D X cameras.

My wish at this point is a Z.... camera built like a D5 or D6, aimed squarely to be the equal competitor to Canon's top of the line. Two CF slots, 14 fps mechanical shutter, digital shutter of top performance, bottomless buffer, simple and reliable Wi-Fi, IBIS, and so forth.

Anyway, I ask again for your opinions, thoughts, wishes regarding to where the Canon vs Nikon competition is as of today and what you foresee coming in the close future. No heated arguments please, just thoughts.

Best to all, AIK

Antal I Kozma's gear list:Antal I Kozma's gear list
Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm F2.8G IF-ED VR Phase One Capture One Pro Nikon D500 Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +20 more
Canon EOS R5 Nikon D5 Nikon D850 Nikon Z7 II
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow