It's been a hoot!

Started 1 month ago | Photos thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Morris0
Morris0 Forum Pro • Posts: 18,917
It's been a hoot!

Some winters finding the snowy owls on Long Island's South Shore Beaches involve hours of searching and some days you never see one. This was not one of those years for me as every time I went I found one of the three owls rather quickly. Some times there were crowds of birders and photographers and others I had one of the birds to my self and of cause I loved when this happened. I've got folders full of photos of the owls that I'll share in time yet this will be my close out for this winter.

-1 The first owl I saw was in mid December and as the sun went down the holiday lights came on.

-2 On my next visit as I arrived on the beach the owl flew away from a group of people and landed about 20 feet from me. The ocean is to my back and the dunes in the background.

-3 This image was taken earlier on my first visit. I'm on a dune about 100 feet away and I was hardly alone on that dune.

-4 I found the owl while I was alone in a valley between two dunes. As I took the owl's photos others gathered well to my right on the beach

-5 It was cloudy with rain or snow in the forecast. I knew I was in for a great day as there was only one other car in the parking lot when I arrived. As I walked the trail to the beach through the dunes I found the owl about 2/3 of the way to the beach. I spent about an hour alone with the owl. You can see the Atlantic Ocean in the background.

-6 While walking along the beach I spotted the owl alone in the middle of the beach. I was a long way off and suddenly it blasted off heading over the dunes as it hunted for something. It looked back at me just before diving face first into the tall grass.

I hope you have enjoyed this journey through some of the images I have from this marvelous showy owl season. All images were taken with one of my two X-T3, Sigma 150-600 C + Fringer Pro II Canon EF to Fuji X lens adapter. I used the Fuji 1.4x TC for some of these and many are cropped. In all case I used a tripod with gimble type head.

Comments and suggestions welcome,

Morris

Morris0's gear list:Morris0's gear list
Fujifilm X-T3 Samyang 12mm F2.0 NCS CS Fujifilm XF 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 R LM OIS WR Sigma 150-600mm F5-6.3 | C XF 90mm +11 more
Comment & critique:
Please provide me constructive critique and criticism.
Fujifilm X-T3
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow