Minimum shutter speed handhold test suggest burst is best!

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
janeenadamsmartin
janeenadamsmartin Contributing Member • Posts: 903
Minimum shutter speed handhold test suggest burst is best!

@drj3 suggested a simple way to test the minimum shutter speed we can handhold by taking photos of our monitor at progressively lower shutter speeds and see when they begin to get blurry.

I just tried it with my 40-150, at 150mm standing 6 feet away.

I was surprised to learn that even at 1/250 some of the 10 burst were clearer than others, and at 1/10 most were blurry but one or two weren't bad.

My conclusion is that I should always take burst shots regardless of shutter speed: when light is good and speed is okay some shots are better than others, and similarly, when light is bad, a hail mary could come through and be a good or good enough shot.

Two things that aren't completely clear was "focus variation." I did not take the photos of my monitor at an angle, as suggested. Could that account for the differences I saw at the 1/250 speed. And second, viewed at 100%. I always wonder what that really means and how do I know I am viewing it at 100%?

I think this is an interesting piece of information I should know about my abilities with my lenses -- just want to make sure I have it right.

Next of course, would be with the monopod...

jan

janeenadamsmartin's gear list:janeenadamsmartin's gear list
Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm F1.8 Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Pro Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ300 +16 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow