Proof of concept, another rookie tries Orion

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
andresch Junior Member • Posts: 48
Proof of concept, another rookie tries Orion

Hi,

First off, big thanks to all the people posting on this forum. Everything i know so far about astrophotography (not so much yet) i learnt from here. Great source of information!

I am interested in deep sky imaging for some time now and finally decided to give it a try. So i took stock of gear i already have and found a setup that could work: old second hand EQ-mount which i use for visual observing, MFT camera Olympus OMD EM10ii, vintage 135mm f/2.8 lens, Affinity Photo with astro tools from the latest update.

It went surprisingly well and i decided to share the result here.
Orion region with the usual suspects M42, running man and flame, even found a horse in the picture.

23x 60s, ISO 1600, 135mm f/4

Of course there is lots of noise, the lens is no good with astro and the processing is bit on the funky side but as a wallpaper on my iPhone it looks great. If you zoom in, it gets worse... But it was fun doing all the tinkering with the gear and to see the nebulae emerge during the processing put a smile on my face. Will i do that again? Yes! I already have an eye on a 60/360 refractor because i think the first thing to change in the setup is definitely the glass.
Is a field corrector / flattener needed for smaller sensor cameras like MFT?

A lot to lern yet. For example, i took some darks, flats and bias. But the stack was always worse with all the calibration files added.

Comments and critique are very welcome

Cheers, Chris

andresch's gear list:andresch's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M10 II
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow