Would you choose a 20mm f/1.8 over a 14-30mm f/4?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
Jambavan
OP Jambavan Forum Member • Posts: 69
Re: Would you choose a 20mm f/1.8 over a 14-30mm f/4?

Thanks for all the replies! I don't really need a fast lens, since 99% of my works are made outdoors. I do regularly shoot in dim or dark outdoors -during twilight and early night- but a tripod would help me more with that than a large aperture. And for what I do with a wide angle lens, a shallow DOF is not necessary either. My primary concern is lens sharpness.

Reports about the 14-30 f/4 sharpness are mixed. Some people say they have the corner problem and saw sample variation across different samples. Others say they have no problem whatsoever. When I see images made by that lens I think they come out nicely, but most of them aren't available at full resolution so I can't say for sure. I am an unashamed pixel peeper so there's that...

The goal is to eventually print and sell my works as really large posters. I also do crop images every single time. (3/2 is rarely the right choice for my shots. Also, I find that cropping can make or brake a composition.)

So, the Z7 II will definitely be a thing in the future. But the wide-angle lens I'll buy now, and use it with the Z6 for now. Just need to pick the right one. It's still not that easy for me...

Jambavan's gear list:Jambavan's gear list
Nikon Z6 Nikon Z 24-70mm F4 Nikon Z 14-30mm F4
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow