Initial thoughts on my new RX100vii

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
tbcass
tbcass Forum Pro • Posts: 48,672
Initial thoughts on my new RX100vii

Because of the Pandemic I haven't done much photography in the past year. Since I have had both shots and the weather is getting better I decided it was time to upgrade my old RX100 M1 and give that to my wife. I found what I thought was a good deal on Amazon through Beach Camera that consisted of the camera, a combo Sony hand grip/tripod that has controls for zoom, video and still shot buttons. It also has a bracket for attaching a microphone. an extra Sony battery and a 3rd party charger and battery were part of the deal. Some screen protectors, 64GB Lexar memory card, a USB memory card reader, car power adapter and some other mostly useless to me stuff. I estimate this was $175 dollars worth of extras for $100.

So far my initial testing has revealed an improvement in JPG processing and better focus tracking compared to my RX10iv. The focus tracking in particular is amazingly sticky even when I try on purpose to make the AF point jump off my intended subject. If I move the camera so that the target is not in the frame and then move it back the camera instantly refocuses on the target. Eye AF is equally excellent and tracks my dog's eyes just as well as my wife's. It will even lock on to an eye in a photograph. I will give updates when I get a chance to use the camera for real.

Here's some photos of the camera mounted on the handle/tripod with my Audio Technica mic attached.

-- hide signature --

Tom

tbcass's gear list:tbcass's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony RX10 IV Sony a99 II Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di USD +7 more
Sony RX100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow