When is enough, enough?

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Paulowen929 New Member • Posts: 19
When is enough, enough?

Excuse my ramblings but I wanted to give some air to some thoughts I've been having lately!

I'm currently using the Sony A7RII with Canon lenses via a Sigma MC-11 adapter. Previously I'd used the Canon 5D II full frame body having come from a traditional, large format, film based background of some 20+ years.

Briefly, I always yearned for maximum quality and this was the reason I lugged large format gear and the associated paraphernalia all over the place taking landscape photographs until I realised that the digital world was calling me!

Moved to the Canon 5D II and what a revelation - the detail I could achieve in these digital files was up there with both 5x4 and 5x7 film based negatives. The prints I produced from these files were as detailed (important) and had a "feel" that I really liked and actually preferred to the film-based prints.

I must clarify that I use the DSLR like a large format camera! The camera was set on manual focus (still to this day never taken an image using autofocus!!), always tripod mounted, always using live view and manual exposure (backed up with hand held meter readings (ditched the meter now I have the Sony!).

Last year I moved to Sony and bought the A7RII.  I still use this camera with manual everything along with Canon lenses, all manual focus, tilt shift, apart from the 16-35mm which does both.

I am making prints with an A2 Epson Surecolour P800 printer on lustre paper.

So finally to my point!

The prints I am now getting from the 42mp sensor are superior in detail and resolution to anything I got using large format. In fact they are more than perfect for my pixel-peeping needs!

My question - is there any benefit in using a sensor with more megapixels? How would this increase in megapixels actually translate to print? I physically can't see where the increase in pixels would make any difference to image quality?

I have lusted after the latest gear but keep coming back to the same question - would the ACTUAL image quality improve? I'm not talking buying the latest body for autofocus speed, frames per second, image stabilisation, etc as I never use these features. In fact I treat the Sony A7 as simply a sensor for the camera lenses.

I would welcome any thoughts from people who have upgraded to more megapixels to ascertain if the increase makes any "real world" difference - I'm talking real world photos and not lab-based tests.

To conclude, is 42 megapixels enough for photographic images?

Paulowen929's gear list:Paulowen929's gear list
Sony a7R II Canon TS-E 17mm f/4L Canon TS-E 90mm f/2.8 Canon TS-E 24mm f/3.5L II Canon EF 16-35mm F4L IS USM +2 more
Sony a7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow