What are the benefits in upgrading strobe lights with a premium brand?

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Thurnau Contributing Member • Posts: 533
What are the benefits in upgrading strobe lights with a premium brand?

What are the benefits in upgrading strobe lights with a premium/pricier brand?

I've been using Paul  Buff's White lighting for over 10 years. I have some small annoyances with it. The clamp on the strobes creep down when holding a softbox or large parabolic umbrella, after a few days to a few weeks the strobe points downwards. The stands I bought with the kit are garbage, replaced the first year as they too didn't hold position.

My original Paul C Buff lightboxes grew mold and needed to be tossed out. The new softbox's outer diffusion panel has Velcro that doesn't match well, it still fits, it just isn't perfect. They are extremely easy to set up and take down compared to another brand I've used. Ortery's live studio (from what I've read they are rebranded Godox) are terrible to set up and break down. Both of these lights aren't great to attach and remove a softbox.

I've never had any complaints about the color, consistency, or quality of the light. I could probably use some advice. I will say the cycle time feels slow with white lightning, and without an audible cycle occasionally I have an underexposed image from firing back to back shots trying to capture movement in a flowing dress. This is more of my stupidity/impatience than a problem with a product. Will the pricier options allow a significantly better cycle time?

There is a lot of discussion here about different premium brands like Elichon, Profoto, and Broncolor, and there is a lot of talk about Godox. But there isn't a lot of talk comparing or contrasting budget and midmarket lighting to the premium brands.

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
BAK
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow