Mild to Wild, Maumee River

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Saumbi
Saumbi Regular Member • Posts: 143
Mild to Wild, Maumee River

I have fished this spring Walleye river nearly daily March and April, for over 45 years annually, except the year I had a 42 foot fall ending my Ironworking career. But always start scouting before the ice is off.

This last weekend with these unseasonable warm temps, we from Mild winter wildlife magnet, to raging flush everything in just 3 days. From over 18" of snow on the ground from the past 2 weeks, to no snow, all gone.

I found all that snow from Hillsdale Michigan to the North, to St. Mary's Oh. to the south, and from Ft. Wane In. to the west, to Lima Oh to the east. What a difference this Scenic Historical River made in just 3 short days from the Friday pictures to the ones I took Monday.

Friday the water was barely rolling over the top of the dam.

over 4 feet of water over the top of the dam, and nearly a 8 foot raise from this first dam downstream.

Same here at the last dam before bein flushed into Lake Erie some 30 or so miles downstream, gulls standing on top the dam.

Monday it had over 5 feet of water coming over the top of the dam, you can see the concrete above the dam on the far side is under water now.

This was the how much ice was on the river for 70 miles except for about 2 miles below the first dam on this river in Defiance Ohio.

Friday from Damascus bridge,

Monday was a huge difference, not even a floating ice cube.

This is the last this river will see this year for ice, and in three weeks it will be over run with sportsman from all over the country. Walleye fishing the Largest Walleye River Run in the world. This is also the largest tributary to all the Great Lakes!

That is truly Mild,, to,, Wild, and the confirmation, Spring has begun, at least in my little world!

Saumbi's gear list:Saumbi's gear list
Canon PowerShot G7 X Canon EOS 10D Canon EOS-1D X Canon EOS 70D Canon EF 85mm F1.8 USM +11 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow