Gerald Undone - Sharper 1080 over HDMI vs internal if camera set to 4K

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Horshack Veteran Member • Posts: 8,674
Gerald Undone - Sharper 1080 over HDMI vs internal if camera set to 4K

Yesterday Gerald Undone posted a video about the A1 and A7sIII that demonstrated sharper lower-resolution video over HDMI if the camera is internally set to a higher resolution mode. Specifically, if the A1 is set to 8K internally then the 4K output over HDMI is sharper than when recording 4K internally or 4K over HDMI with the camera set to 4K.

We know the 1080 output from most of Sony's cameras (FF and APS-C) is soft. so much so that if you want sharp 1080 output you have to shoot 4K and downsample in post. The only exceptions are the A7s series and the 1" sensor cameras.

I just tried Gerald's idea on my A6300, comparing the 1080 output over HDMI between the camera set to 4K vs 1080 internally and indeed the 1080 output over HDMI is sharper when the camera is set to 4K. It's also noisier as well, so it's not clear if the camera is actually fully oversampling 4K -> 1080 over HDMI or if it's instead doing some other type of transform. I plan more experiments today.

GIF animation comparing my A6300's 1080 HDMI output with the camera set to 4K vs 1080 internally:

GIF Animation

Gerald's video (skip to 10:28):

Sony a6300 Sony a7S
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow