Batteries for Sigma SD1 Merrill (and earlier models)

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Scottelly
Scottelly Forum Pro • Posts: 15,570
Batteries for Sigma SD1 Merrill (and earlier models)

I am considering getting some more batteries for my SD1 Merrill. I have two of Sigma's batteries already, and they work fine, but I want to replace the three after-market batteries that I have, because they're basically done . . . kaput . . . fried . . . useless (will power up the camera, and allow me to shoot as many as five or six photos). I was hoping I could find a pair of Wasabi batteries with a double-charger that works by USB, like what I got for my SD Quattro H. I love those batteries and charger. I got a similar Wasabi kit for my Nikon D810 about a year ago, and they seem to work great. The USB charger is what I really want most of all though. I like the idea of having a generic plug, which can be easily replaced if lost, and which does not have a big, bulky, heavy block that has to be plugged into a wall socket. The fact that I can use my double USB chargers when I'm out and about, using any USB plug, like the one in my notebook computer or the USB ports on a jump starter in the car is a huge plus. I use the same cable to charge my camera batteries that I use to charge my phone, and I really like that. Being able to charge two batteries at once is really nice too. I can plug the charger into my jump starter, put two batteries in it to charge, and leave it for the night. When I get up in the morning my batteries are charged, even if I'm out camping in the woods.

I'm considering this kit:

https://www.amazon.com/Kastar-2-Pack-Battery-Charger-Replacement/dp/B08CT4M7G1/ref=sr_1_5?dchild=1&keywords=usb+charger+for+for+d-li50+battery&qid=1614777825&s=electronics&sr=1-5

Does anyone here have any experience with those? (Yes, I know they're for different cameras, but the form factor seems to be the same, and the power is 7.4 volts, just like what my Sigma BP-21 batteries say on them.) Here is the Wasabi kit I was considering, before I found that other kit with the USB dual-charger:

https://www.amazon.com/Wasabi-Power-Battery-Charger-Merrill/dp/B004W9EIFI/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=wasabi+sigma+bp-21&qid=1614778624&s=electronics&sr=1-2

I'm not a big fan of cheap Chinese knock-offs, considering I got one set for my Nikon D200, which was absolutely terrible, but the Wasabi batteries are made in China too, and I know they're at least pretty good (so far). I'm not paying $70 for a battery, even if it is an original Sigma battery that's made in Japan.

-- hide signature --

Scott Barton Kennelly
https://www.bigprintphotos.com/

Scottelly's gear list:Scottelly's gear list
Sony SLT-A65 Sigma SD1 Merrill Nikon D810 Sigma sd Quattro H Sony DT 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 SAM +23 more
Nikon D200 Nikon D810 Sigma sd Quattro H Sigma SD1 Merrill
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow