Easy to use software to merge foreground with tracked milky way?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
nighthiker Contributing Member • Posts: 526
Re: Easy to use software to merge foreground with tracked milky way?

allematic wrote:

nighthiker wrote:

Hi!

Mmmmmh, the image example from Luminar is looking total realistic to me and absolutely no Kitsch ... or so

Because they chose a daytime foreground which is irrelevant to my goal. I'm looking to merge separately shot foreground and sky of the exact same scene.

It's OK allematic. I believe that you will use it for a realistic picture (background and foreground from the same location within a short time interval). I worry that we already have many Beth Moon's out there (https://petapixel.com/2019/05/07/this-milky-way-photo-on-nat-geo-is-raising-eyebrows/).

I would also put some other points of the Luminar picture into question: The horizon line is relatively simple with only a small tree on the left side. Trees with branches are a complex issue. On all of my pictures I have a transition along the horizon with light pollution and haze/clouds. This abrupt change from the foreground to a perfect MW is pretty unrealistic. I also have to fight against light pollution on the whole image, often very irregular with several gradients. PixInsight has a nice gradient removal tool, but that isn't cheap ...

I have my doubts that you will get happy with Luminar as the problems I have with merging background and foreground are complex, but give it a try if you think that it works and come back later with your experience. I'm always happy to learn new stuff and will change my opinion if the is strong evidence that I'm wrong

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow