m4/3 macro lens for film "scanning"?

Started 1 month ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
scphoto
scphoto Senior Member • Posts: 1,728
m4/3 macro lens for film "scanning"?

I have a number of old 35mm film negatives (b&w & color) and color slides that I want to scan. I've seen some YouTube videos which show a digital camera on a stand that takes a shot of the photo and then that image is processed with photoshop.

This makes a lot of sense to me because the alternative is to buy a scanner that I can only use for scanning. The advantage of the macro lens approach is that I can actually use the same lens for macro photography. BTW ... I've never shot with a macro lens. I have a Panasonic GX-9. What m4/3 lens would you recommend?

I'm told that another alternative to use an extension tube with a lens. I've never used extension tubes on my GX-9. I have a fixed length 15mm lens. I also have a number of zoom lens. If I go the the extension tube method, can I use my 15mm with what extension tube? Would a zoom lens with a tube also work?

I already have an LED light "table"/pad. I can make a slide/film holder. I need to buy a copy stand to hold the camera over the film.

So ... would this type of setup work as a "scanner" with my GX-9? Also, what's the economical macro lens that could serve both as a scanner and allow me to experiment with macro photography.

Your advice would be much appreciated ...

-- hide signature --

- Simon

scphoto's gear list:scphoto's gear list
Olympus Tough TG-4 Sony RX100 VI Nikon D300 Panasonic Lumix DC-GX9
ANSWER:
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MNE
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow