Sigma DP0 Quattro vs. Xiaomi 10T Lite comparison test

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
dgtlknstftgrf New Member • Posts: 10
Sigma DP0 Quattro vs. Xiaomi 10T Lite comparison test

I wanted to know, if my recent pocket smartphone (mid-range type) performs as well as my Sigma DP0 Quattro in terms of performance. Concerning my smartphone, it is a Xiaomi Mi 10T Lite, with a 64 MP, f/1.9, 26 mm focal length sensor, which actually delivers (pixel-binning mode) images at 16 Mpx. This smartphone also has different internal modes (HDR,...) which effectively improve the image dynamics, especially in the rendering of the sky, but these images viewed at 100% on a computer screen are worthless (in terms of sharpness)... on the other hand, they are very beautiful in terms of dynamics if you look at them in smaller sizes. To be considered, according to your needs!

What interests me above all is the RAW mode, which in the meantime many smartphones have, but which few people use, because it takes time to develop the image, and you have to know how to do it judiciously. Journalists in the photo press usually don't talk about this RAW mode, which is rarely used. Is the RAW mode worth anything in the meantime?

The Sigma DP0 Quattro has a slightly wider focal length, 20 mm, and had the advantage in its day that it offers beautiful (almost) sharp images in the overall picture (viewed at 100%), which was not the case with most cameras. The Sigma DP2 Quattro with a focal length equivalent to 45 mm is, however, still perfect, with truly 100% sharp images over the entire image! In the meantime, a few cameras with interchangeable lenses (rather top-of-the-range type) have been on the market for 4 years now, which finally offer 100% sharp images in the whole picture! These cameras can be an alternative to the Foveon sensor cameras, well, it's not the same concept, depending on its use, its budget and the choice of the optical ecosystem to be managed, the Sigma Quattro type cameras also have their advantages, as long as you take pictures at 100 iso...

The problem is that the images reproduced by the Sigma DP Quattro are often sharp, but depending on the conditions of exposure, light and backlight, the skies are burnt out or poorly rendered in terms of colour and dynamics (and the use of gray scale filters is not always easy to correct the problems of dynamics and to obtain an image that is as true to reality as possible. The use of the RAW mode is therefore a must on this type of camera, but also there, despite the post-production process, there are still often disappointments in terms of dynamic rendering, especially the skies). As a result, the only solution remains the SFD mode (delivering X3I files), but there also, besides the fact that it requires the use of a tripod, and the absence of wind (for example for the foliage of trees), its development is somewhat fastidious (it is necessary to have a powerful computer), and the adjustment parameters are not so simple to obtain a perfect image, restoring at best the dynamics of the shooting. But often, it is possible anyway, with a little time...

I observe that nowadays many smartphones achieve very good performance in terms of image rendering compared to Sigma DP Quattro cameras, sometimes even better in terms of general image reproduction in its dynamic range, but not quite at the same level, concerning 100% sharpness. Fortunately still! Anyway, in many cases, smartphones can be a great tool for taking quality photos at 50 iso, and even at night on a tripod!

Here are three examples, which don't necessarily highlight absent skies, it was just a test to compare the sharpness of details at 100%.
To note, when using the RAW mode on smartphone, there are the same problems of dynamic rendering concerning the burnt skies!

Xiaomi Mi10 T Lite - ISO 50 - f/1.89 - 1/40s

Sigma DP0 Quattro - ISO 100 - f/4 - 1/80s

Xiaomi Mi10 T Lite - ISO 50 - f/1.89 - 1/280s

Sigma DP0 Quattro - ISO 100 - f/4 - 1/200s

Xiaomi Mi10 T Lite - ISO 50 - f/1.89 - 1/90s

Sigma DP0 Quattro - ISO 100 - f/4 - 1/125s

-- hide signature --

Patrick

dgtlknstftgrf's gear list:dgtlknstftgrf's gear list
Sigma dp2 Quattro Sigma dp0 Quattro
Sigma dp0 Quattro Sigma dp2 Quattro
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow