R6 AF hunting all the time

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
knight427 Regular Member • Posts: 161
R6 AF hunting all the time

I just upgraded from a 6D to R6, so I have lots to learn. 
The main problem for now is that AF tracking keeps tracking, all the time, even if my camera is down (just noticed it does with the lens cap on too). I have to turn the camera off to get it stop constantly re-focusing. I suppose that behavior is what might allow me to use AF tracking with the back screen. I think that would be a rare use case unless I was doing video (which is whole other learning curve for later).

I have been playing with single point AF w/ touch-and-drag using half the screen. I've found using my nose is sometimes easier than my thumb if I have a heavy lens. But what I really want is a quick jump to center-point AF (no tracking) so when in doubt, I can focus-recompose as I did constantly on my 6D.

So I guess ideally, I'd use the AF-ON button to enable EYE-AF with tracking while I hold that button, but no tracking when released (like back button AF worked on my 6D). Then I'd like the * button to jump to fixed-center AF, and hold focus when released. 
Maybe that's not exactly possible, but I'll bet there is a close approximation. The AF options are a bit overwhelming coming from the 6D.

knight427's gear list:knight427's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS R6 Canon EF 28-135mm F3.5-5.6 IS USM Canon Extender EF 1.4x III Canon Extender EF 2x III +5 more
Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS R6
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow