LC-E6 Charger New 1.0 amps, Old 1.2 amps

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Karl_Guttag Contributing Member • Posts: 524
LC-E6 Charger New 1.0 amps, Old 1.2 amps

I think for the first time in the last 20 years Canon screwed up their battery-changing strategy and I finally have a Canon camera, the R5, that uses the same batteries, more or less (LP-E6). as my old camera, the 70D.

I plan on using the new LP-E6N (along with a backup on order) in the camera with the two old 70D batteries as emergency backups (they seem to work with the R5 fine, but I understand they limit the highest speed modes, and besides they hold less).

I would like to charge two batteries at a time using my two LC-E6 chargers and I noticed that the new charger is rated at 8.4V at 1.0 amps and the older one is rated at 8.4 at 1.2 amps.  I assume there is no problem or there would be a big ruckus by now as there have to be a lot of people mixing old and new LP-E6 chargers.

The only thing I found on this issue was in a Canon Rumor's forum:

https://www.canonrumors.com/forum/threads/official-lc-e6-chargers-why-change-in-amps-voltage.36141/

The takeaway from that forum is that the older 1.2 amp LP-E6s charge faster (meaning they really can put out more current).

Karl_Guttag's gear list:Karl_Guttag's gear list
Canon EOS RP Olympus E-M5 III Canon EOS R5 Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 +10 more
Canon EOS 70D Canon EOS R5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow