Sony Video file naming issues

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
PhotoFactor Veteran Member • Posts: 3,746
Sony Video file naming issues

I have a family member who is a backpacker and has an issue with their Sony video filenaming.

The backpack trips are meant to be light in weight. This person shoots a LOT of short video clips (say 1000 clips on a trip). They save these clips to multiple SD cards.

As it has been explained to me, Sony numbers clips sequentially. But when a new card is inserted, the sequence restarts. So when all of the final clips are copied to a computer, there are colliding video filenames. Additionally, I've been told that if a shot clip is junk and not desired, the clip is deleted in-camera, but that opens a clip filename and the next clip uses that name. So for example clips 1...10, then you delete clip 5, but then the next clip is 5 and not 11.

The goal is to ideally be able to copy all clips from all cards onto a computer, and have the files be all independently named and ordered sequentially so that the files are chronological. Right now, it takes a lot of work in copying, bulk renaming, etc And when you factor in the paired XML files (which may be desired), then it gets even more time consuming.

Apparently other camera makers don't have this problem, and Sony has no way of changing the naming mechanism? This is for video only, not stills.

Has anybody else run into these issues, and are there any suggested fixes/solutions?

PhotoFactor's gear list:PhotoFactor's gear list
Sony a6000 Sony a6400 Sigma 30mm F2.8 EX DN Sigma 19mm F2.8 EX DN 7artisans 25mm F1.8 +3 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow