Interesting patent note on wide-angle zooms from Thom Hogan

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
e61 Regular Member • Posts: 131
Interesting patent note on wide-angle zooms from Thom Hogan

Caught this new post on Thom Hogan's Z System User website today, and wanted to highlight a specific comment:

"Also published were patents for a 16-35mm f/2.8 zoom, as well as 18-50mm f/2.8-4 and 16-50mm f/4 variations. While it may seem odd to be exploring wide angle zooms again so soon after the release of the 14-24mm f/2.8, I know that there is demand for a wide angle zoom that stays on the camera more (e.g. gets up into the minor wide or even normal focal range)."

With the obvious caveat that companies patent lenses they don't end up actually producing all the time ... I was really excited to see a 16-35 f2.8 on here.

I know some folks prefer to get down to 14mm and, since they likely have a 24-70, don't need the longer end of the wide-angle range. I personally would happily give up a couple mm on the wide end to get to 35mm on the longer end.

Just curious if others feel the same way? How much interest would there be in a lens like that vs. a 14-24mm f2.8?

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
e61
e61
9ck
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow