Super Fine Detail (SFD) X3i files

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
furtle
furtle Senior Member • Posts: 1,270
Super Fine Detail (SFD) X3i files

The Quattro range of cameras have the SFD feature of making seven exposures at  different exposures, all  on the click of the shutter button.  I know this can be done manually by  altering the exposure between shots but the auto SFD setting is easy.

For the Quattro it allows for  excellent photos making in situations that one would normally consider a Foveon sensor not to work, eg, inside gloomy buildings like churches.  Obvs this needs a tripod.

So, was this always a feature of the Quattro from day one or was it added as a firmware update?

It's got me thinking about the fp which of course has a Bayer sensor.  Could SFD mode be introduced to the fp by way of a firmware update?  I ask because although the fp is very good in low light, it still exhibits noise at ISO5000 + (unheard of territory for a Foveon).  If so, would it have the same marked improvement that I see in the X3i files over the X3F files?   Or would it be a waste of time?

-- hide signature --

Best, Steve

furtle's gear list:furtle's gear list
Ricoh GR Digital III Sigma DP1s Sigma DP2 Merrill Sigma dp3 Quattro Sigma dp0 Quattro +9 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow