Thom Hogan may have some insight into the pending Z 40 mm - f/2.8?

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
FuhTeng
FuhTeng Senior Member • Posts: 1,292
Thom Hogan may have some insight into the pending Z 40 mm - f/2.8?

I know I've been looking forward to the 40 and 28 mm Z lenses for some time and I know many others have as well so I think this little bit in Thom's note on Z patents is interesting:

"The upcoming 40mm lens appears to be a 40mm f/2.8 (technically 42mm f/2.9 in the patent that just appeared)."

https://www.zsystemuser.com/nikon-z-system-news-and/all-z-news-fit-to-print.html

I'm a little disappointed because I was hoping for an f/2, but I'm not surprised. Given the size of the "muffin" lens (I like that descriptor as it's a bit too deep to be pancake) I've been expecting f/2.8.

Perhaps the 28 mm I'm even more interested in will be f/2. Or maybe something unusual like f/2.4?

The other patents for the UWA zooms are fascinating. I really like the idea of the slow but wide Panasonic 20-60 so an 18-50, particularly that fast at 18 mm at f/2.8, or 16-50 (which strikes me as an upgraded Z50 lens) are very interesting.

-- hide signature --

"Our young men should spend more time considering the composition and merit of their images, and less time with magnifying glasses counting how many bricks and shingles they can resolve." - from a Paris newspaper article on Daguerrotype photography, from 1841. (and https://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2011/05/1839-and-the-frenzy-that-followed)

FuhTeng's gear list:FuhTeng's gear list
Sony RX100 III Sony a6300 Nikon D850 Nikon Z6 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm F4G ED VR +12 more
Nikon Z50
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow